2008-02-16

OpenGL for ATI Mobility Radeon in Vista

This is way annoying. I installed an OpenGL game on my Asus notebook and it ran abysmally. When I tried to test the OpenGL interface with glview, that program crashed. The ATI's Catalyst Control Center (CCC) reported that OpenGL Version was Not available.

It turns out that I have to update the driver for my notebook's ATI Mobility Radeon X1700 card and enable OpenGL support. ATI does not support any Mobility Radeon cards but I found an updated driver on the Asus site. Then I used Mobility Modder tool and it enabled OpenGL. Now my system has OpenGL version 6.14.10.7275 and glview runs to completion.

Whew! Thank goodness Mobility Modder worked since I wasn't looking forward to hacking .INF files without knowing anything about configuring video adapters.

1 comment:

  1. well i am kind of desesparate. I bough a nice laptop to play games online and yes...mobility radeon x1700, vista...dont have open gl so cant do nothing with it. I try step by step your advice, but the steps are actually not following like you said, at least not on my laptop....for instance i dont have a support file on the c/ati..and when i install the latest driver it dont ask me either where i want to install them, snif...i am really desesparate
    Could you contact me at hispahian@yahoo.es?

    ReplyDelete