Here is a procedure for quickly claiming a Myki reimbursement if you are clearly overcharged. Myki is the smartcard system used for public transport fares in Melbourne.
Assumptions: Your Myki card(s) is registered on the PTV site so that you can check your trip and charges, and you know your account PIN.
- Wait 48 hours after the overcharged trip before contacting the PTV service centre. (You can call the PTV earlier but the operators won't do anything until 48 hours have passed.)
- Ensure you know the trip details (route, time, date and stops).
- Ensure you know your Myki card number.
- Call PTV call centre on 1800 800 007 then press 1 and 6.
- When an operator responds, explain that you have been overcharged for some Myki trips.
- Give the operator your PIN to confirm your identity.
- Give the operator the relevant Myki card number and trip details.
- Let the operator confirm that your claim is valid. The operator has to check the route, stops and zones. After confirming your claim, the operator should give you a trouble ticket number for your record.
- PTV should send you a confirmation by e-mail within a day or two.
- Your Myki card should be credited when you touch on again.