2008-12-04

Microsoft Project 2007 print time scale problem

It seemed like a simple job: print Gantt Chart of my project such that the time scale fits on one page in Microsoft Project 2007. Below is a picture of what I wanted to do:

+------+
|Page 1|
+------+
|Page 2|
+------+
|Page n|
+------+

Yet MS Project 2007 always printed the final milestone on an even page, so that I ended with twice the number of pages:

+---------+-------+
|Page 1   |Page 2 |
+---------+-------+
|Page 3   |Page 4 |
+---------+-------+
|Page 2n-1|Page 2n|
+---------+-------+

A hack by Pak K. was to shrink the view such that the scale in the top tier of dates in the Gantt Chart is in quarters. A related hack I found is to specify only one tier in the Timescale dialog (select menu item Format / Timescale).

The notes in Print a view on-line help suggests that when printing, the timescale should be scaled down little to fit a small amount of overflow, but that is not the case.

5 comments:

  1. IT IS AWFUL SOFTWARE NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. INSTAED OF SAVING TIME THE USER WASTES TIME TRYING TO GET WORK AROUNDS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot print anything because there is no page scale defined.
    The box to define the scale is disabled (greyed out) so no printing for me then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get a similar problem. When I hit print or print preview the scale is always the same, no matter how I set the timescales or page sizes. Yet, I open the same project on another computer and it works fine. I say project 2007 is bollocks. I'm hand-drawing in future... stoopid program

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same BUG still exists. The page setup has scaling all grey (disabled) and if I try to select any other tab it gives an error " The value must be between 10 and 500." The only are to enter a value is gray (disabled)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ms project too much head ache..time consuming and delay of work..

    ReplyDelete