After getting over the difficulty of transferring all my files from my old PC to the new one, here's my first impressions of Vista compared to XP:
- Definitely lots of eye candy. The semi-transparent borders are neat. Shadow around each window softens their edges.
- Text display is very clear. Can't tell if it's because of the new computer or improvements in font display. Where's the option to tweak font appearances?
- Windows Sidebar takes up too much desktop real estate. Until I can find a useful gadget, I turned it off.
- System administration tasks are better integrated with Control Panel. The related tasks in each window are helpful.
- Internet Explorer 7.0 now has tabbed browsing, but Windows Explorer doesn't. Trying to opening a folder in MSIE7 just opens yet-another Explorer window. Isn't it obvious that Explorer should have tabbed views to improve file and folder management? Stick with 2xExplorer!
- Tablet PC input device is standard. No idea how to enable it for the touchpad or a tablet device.
- What, Powershell not installed by default?
- Windows Media Player is less annoying than previous versions that wanted to go on-line all the time.